Reporting to the Community Programs Manager (CPM) and the Executive Director (ED), this position is responsible for the delivery of housing and support services to McLaren Housing Society of BC’s (MHS) HIV+ clients that require assistance to obtain and retain adequate housing while living independently. The successful applicant will be responsible for providing support to clients in MHS portable subsidies and Helmcken House.
• Maintain and manage a support program for clients who are in receipt of MHS portable subsidies and those who reside at Helmcken House.
• Identify clients in need of affordable housing and support services through MHS’s waitlist in addition to referrals from other community and AIDS Service Organizations (ASOs).
• Within established criteria and expectations, assess and evaluate client’s suitability for MHS’s Housing Programs.
• Assist clients in a housing search including, but not limited to: accompaniment on housing searches; completing applications for housing; meeting and negotiating with prospective landlords; arranging security deposits; obtaining furnishings; and supporting moving arrangements.
• Establish collaborative relationships with clients through effective communication, role modeling and behavior management.
• Under the guidance of the CPM, develop good working relationships with housing providers, community ASOs, and other health and community partners.
• In consultation with the CPM and the client’s “support network”, work with the client to develop an individualized plan to ensure housing stability and success.
• Assist clients with referrals / linkages with other community-based organizations, local government agencies and the continuum of health, mental health and addiction services.
• Facilitate successful independent living through building clients’ capacity to understand their rights and responsibilities under the Residential Tenancy Act (RTA).
• Implement, when necessary, crisis management techniques, while accessing other agencies, professionals and/or the client’s “care team” to provide appropriate services.
• Regularly maintain all relevant records, statistics and client files. Provide CPM and ED with written and oral reports as required.
• Build capacity to evaluate and deliver programs and services.
• Participate and contribute to agency committees notably the internal transfer/vacancy committee.
• Participate and assist other staff in organising monthly community meals and activities on an as needed basis.
• Assist the CPM and ED in developing/growing MHS’ housing stock.
• Contribute to MHS’s community engagement endeavours.
• Contribute and be involved in the agency research & evaluation committee.
• Complete any other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the ED.
Education, training and other requirements:
• Current BSW in Social / Human Services or equivalent or extensive experience in an applied Human / Social Service field.
• Current First Aid Certification, Food Safe, and or ability to obtain.
• Valid BC Driver’s License and vehicle for work is required (or ability to obtain both).
• All candidates must successfully complete a criminal record check prior to commencing employment.
Skills and Abilities:
• Demonstrated experience and ability to work with individuals and families living with HIV/AIDS, other chronic illnesses and dealing with physical, mental health and addiction health challenges.
• Demonstrated experience and ability working with marginalized and culturally diverse populations including but not limited to LGBTQ2, immigrants and indigenous communities experiencing poverty and housing issues.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to work independently and in cooperation with others.
• Extensive computer skills, demonstrated experience with current Office 2016 and high proficiency in Word, Excel and Outlook.
• Ability to organize and prioritize.
• Ability to establish and maintain rapport with co-workers, clients, outside agencies and other professionals.
• Knowledge of the RTA, affordable housing options and resources is an asset.
Interested and suitably qualified applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and resume in Word or PDF format to [email protected] or by fax to 604-669-4092. Closing date is Friday April 16, 2021 at 12 noon Pacific time.
Salary to be negotiated and based on experience. This is a permanent position. After completion of a three month probation will be eligible for MHS extended benefits package and an annual vacation of 3 weeks.
Thank you in advance for your interest but only those shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.
Learn more about McLaren Housing Society