PLDI honors the leadership of the past; values the leadership of today; and inspires leadership for our future.
The purpose of the Positive Leadership Development Institute (PLDI) is to support people who are living with HIV/AIDS realize their leadership potential and increase their capacity to participate meaningfully in community life. The Ontario AIDS Network (OAN) mentored PAN in developing these training modules and we’ve delivered PLDI training since 2009.
The first PLDI training in French was delivered in 2018, in partnership between PAN, the OAN, and COCQ-SIDA in Quebec. The three organizations continue to work collaboratively to create a network of informed and empowered PLHIV leaders in our aligned efforts to embody the GIPA/MIPA and Nothing About Us, Without US principles throughout everything we do.
Available across Canada
PLDI is available nationally to all PLHIV in Canada through its online training options.
The next session is Core Training- “Who am I As a Leader?” in February 2023. Get program information and apply.
|The PLDI leadership program offers three trainings in BC:
Since this video was made, the PLDI program has celebrated ten years and over 200 grads.
Once you have completed the Core Leadership training you may take the Governance training or the Communication Skills training in any order you wish.
Core Leadership Training
Core Leadership Training seeks to answer the question: “Who am I as a Leader?” The three main goals of the training are:
1. To identify personal values and philosophy;
2. To develop leadership skills and practices;
3. To gain community knowledge and awareness.
The curriculum objectives for the training are for participants to have the opportunity:
• To understand the 5 principles and 10 commitments of leadership
• To realize individual leadership potential
• To participate in building a network of leaders within the PLHIV community
• To realize the potential and strengths that each individual brings to the network
• To learn about and practice leadership skills in a safe environment
• To inspire others to become leaders
• To encourage participants to take on facilitator and mentoring roles within the community
Communication Skills Training
This training is only open to graduates of the Core Leadership Training.
The Communications Skills Training explores the following topics through presentations, group work and discussions:
- 5 practices & 10 Commitments
- Structured Feedback
- Effective Meetings
- Active Listening
- Dealing with Difficult Situations & Distracting Behaviors
- Facilitation Skills
- Presentation Skills/Public Speaking
- Practicum – Participants are given the opportunity to develop and deliver a short presentation
Governance (formerly Bored? Get on Board!)
Governance is another module that requires that applicants have completed the Core Leadership Training.
This professional development training provides an opportunity to establish a vision and mission through fun mock board scenarios and learn about:
- The voluntary sector in Canada
- Board accountability and responsibilities
- Board governance models
- Effective Meetings
- Financial management notions
- Understanding committee structures and purpose
- Understanding potential conflicts of interest
For more information about the Positive Leadership Development Institute (PLDI), please contact Marc Seguin, Manager of PLDI: [email protected] | 604-569-1998
We greatly appreciate the vision of our government funders and their ongoing commitment to supporting the work of PAN. In particular we gratefully acknowledge the Public Health Agency of Canada – HIV and Hepatitis C Community Action Fund. The views expressed herein do not necessarily represent the views of the Public Health Agency of Canada.