AVI Health & Community Services (AVI) is a multi-disciplinary community based organization, providing HIV, hepatitis C and harm reduction services out of 5 locations across Vancouver Island. AVI provides services to more than 500 people living with HIV and hepatitis C and more than 3000 harm reduction clients. We work within a social justice and health promotion framework – ensuring equity and access to services for all – and from a harm reduction perspective, understanding that clients are the best sources of knowledge regarding the services and supports they need. AVI provides comprehensive, accessible and effective education, prevention, care, treatment and support services to residents of Vancouver Island with offices in Victoria, the Westshore, Nanaimo, the Comox Valley and Campbell River. For more info see: www.avi.org
AVI Health Centre is a Community Health Centre in Nanaimo. We provide Primary Care, HIV, Substance Use, STBBI, PrEP, PEP, and HCV medical services, as well as outreach, supports, and social programming for our clients. We also provide education services for the communities we support and for health and social services students and professionals that work with the same communities. Our Health Centre is located on the Snuneymuxw territories.
Join our supportive, dedicated and client-centred team in promoting the health, dignity and well-being of all people affected by HIV, HCV and substance use by delivering sex-positive and harm reduction-based education, prevention and/or support services.
The Medical Office Assistant will assist in the daily operation of the medical office by performing medical and secretarial duties, and help to maintain an efficient and cooperative operation. This position reports to the Community Health Centre Director. This job is located in Nanaimo.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains patients’ appointments.
- Assists in the completion of secretarial and administrative duties for the clinic.
- Maintains record keeping/filing systems, screens and prioritizes incoming records and materials.
- Manages medical referrals according to physician’s instructions and procedures.
- Prepares documents and materials for medical clinics and/or patient visits as required.
- Provides and maintains a welcoming and safe reception for patients.
- Collects, reads and enters all point of care tests.
- Works with team to create positive, healthy, clinic environment.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Minimum two years recent medical office experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required to work effectively with co-workers, clients, community, and other service providers.
- Understanding of the impact on individual health and well-being, as well as the considerations for service delivery related to systemic barriers associated with poverty, mental health, substance use, trauma, racism, ongoing colonialism, heterosexism, and gender discrimination.
- Demonstrated commitment to the policy and practice of harm reduction, cultural safety, and trauma and violence informed practices.
- Experience with MOIS system is an asset.
- Experience with occupational health and safety standards and procedures.
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Knowledge of medical terminology and medical office procedures.
- Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize.
- Ability to work independently and in cooperation with others.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- To comply with current BC Public Health Orders, must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or have an approved medical exemption. Proof of vaccination status will be required for successful applicants for positions covered by the order.
- Benefits: This position will be eligible for extended health, life and AD&D coverage after 488 hours with AVI. AVI pays for the entire cost of the plan on behalf of its staff.
- Pension: If you are already a member of the Municipal Pension Plan (MPP), you can continue with them at AVI immediately. If not, after 488 hours, you will be eligible to join the Municipal Pension Plan. At this time, AVI contributes an additional 9.31% towards your pension account.
- Other Perks: This position gets 6% vacation (equivalent to 3 weeks), receives a paid day off for every Stat Holiday and Easter Monday (or paid time off in lieu) and accrues a Sick Bank of 6.9%. Sick and Vacation Days are both available to be used after your first 488 hours at AVI.
Please send an email to [email protected] letting us know you are interested by 5 PM on Tuesday, May 10th, 2022.
We strongly encourage applications from, but not limited to, folks who identify as Queer, who are living with or at risk of HIV, who identify as Indigenous, as a person of colour, as a person who is racialized, as a person living with a disability, as a person who uses or used drugs, as a person with experience engaging in sex work, as a person who lives with HCV, and/or persons who represent a diversity of sexual orientations and genders.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We would like to thank all those that apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.