The Vancouver Area Network of Drug Users (VANDU) is a group of users and former users who work to improve the lives of people who use illicit drugs through user-based peer support and education. VANDU is a peer-run drug user organization based in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside. Our goal is drug user liberation – and we know that liberation will only come through the work of drug users themselves.
Office Administrative Assistant
The VANDU Administrative Assistant provides administrative support to the organization. A central focus for the position is creating a sustainable system for the organizational files including program, financial and archival documents such as program data, contracts, budget sheets, invoices and ongoing correspondence. A strong understanding on how to create a usable cloud-based organizational system that can be easily understood and used by multiple people ensuring that our organizational records can be kept in an orderly and secure fashion.
The Administrative Assistant reports directly to the executive director and works closely with the VANDU board and staff.
- Administrative and office support for the ED and Community organizer including: creating documents, spreadsheets, and filing and email
- Office systems’ administration including: data entry, records maintenance and look-up, and report development and retrieval
- Create and maintain a readily accessible paper-based and electronic information filing system for both current work and our archives.
- Create a system to sort and distribute incoming mail, and responding to general inquiries
- Support and build capacity of the VANDU Board of Directors and select volunteers to implement and use new data entry systems
- Organize the physical office to be more efficient and useful space
- Coordinate and track ongoing petty cash through our account software Xero
- Undertakes any new projects and new initiatives as assigned.
- Basic computer literacy and ability to communicate with members over multiple platforms
- Experience with Xerox or other bookkeeping software an asset
- Experience with Google drive and other cloud based organization system an asset
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Good business sense and a track record of demonstrating initiative and collaboration
- Experience of working with grassroots, democratic and action-oriented organizations
- Ability to work in a bustling and sometimes chaotic work environment and to work with people who use drugs in a respectful and constructive way
- Excellent organization skills and ability to keep records
- Multi-tasking skills and ability to be flexible when priorities shift
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing including the ability to respond politely and diplomatically to both internal and external inquiries.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to provide effective administrative support at the executive level.
- Demonstrated ability to provide guidance and direction to others.
- Demonstrated ability to exhibit tact and discretion in preparing, disclosing and handling information of a confidential and/or sensitive nature.
- Demonstrated time management skills to assist others in meeting deadlines.
Part-time (20hrs a week), 1 year Contract with possibility for extension
In office in Vancouver DTES
3 days a week, Monday to Friday ( flexible to your schedule)
$18-22 depending on experience.
People with lived experience are encouraged to apply for this position.
To Apply: Send your Resume and cover letter in an email to [email protected] with subject line as VANDU Administration Assistant Application
Application Deadline: February 5, 2021