Location: Vancouver Coastal Health Office – located near Commercial & Broadway, Vancouver BC.
Purpose of the position: The volunteer youth bereavement facilitator will be working in partnership with a clinical counselor with Vancouver Coastal Health to provide in-person bereavement support groups for youth aged 18 – 24 years who have suffered a personal loss due to substance use related harms. The bereavement support groups will be provided 1-2 times per month in the late afternoon/evening during a week day.
About Healing Hearts Bereavement Support: Healing Hearts provides bereavement support specific to a loss from substance use related harms. It offers a sense of safety and non-judgment where youth feel they can openly share and learn from others who have been through a similar experience. It assists in removing the isolation that youth can feel when experiencing this type of loss.
- create a safe protected space for youth to discuss difficult issues that they may be experiencing from the loss of a friend, loved one or family member
- provide an opportunity for youth to meet regularly for mutual support
- help youth to foster coping skills and build resilience as they move through their grief journey
- provide a warm, caring, trusting, safe setting for youth to share their stories of loss.
Who Should Apply
- ideal candidates are those who have an interest in working with youth
- preference given to younger applicants who have lost a partner, parents, siblings or friends
- preference given to applicants who have worked in some capacity with youth
- You are a member of Moms Stop the Harm
- You have lost someone close to you from a substance use related cause
- your personal loss occurred more than 12 months ago
- police criminal record check
Bereavement meetings are typically 1.5-2 hours in length 1-2 times per month. There is some preparation time involved prior to each meeting. Monthly facilitator support meetings (1.5 hours in length) are also available as an additional support to facilitators in their role.
Facilitator training opportunities are provided by Healing Hearts Canada throughout the year to support you in your role. Examples of training opportunities include: Core Facilitator Skills Training, Understanding Traumatic/Complicated Grief, Self Care for Facilitators, Trauma Informed Practice, and Active Listening.
For further information regarding Healing Hearts Bereavement support please visit our website at: healingheartscanada.org
Please submit your resume to: [email protected]