Aiming to launch in the spring of 2021, the Hepatitis C Leadership Pilot Program will bring together peers of lived experience of hepatitis C in the spirit of leadership development and community building.
As a program trainer you will have the unique opportunity to play a role in helping guide peers on a journey of discovering their leadership qualities, potential, and opportunities. The program aims to foster leadership that begins in the heart, is rooted in empowerment, and strives to meet people where they’re at. Some program participants may choose to focus their leadership development on self-care, others on their work or local community involvement, and perhaps others on advocacy and hepatitis C elimination efforts.
Leading up to and during the training program, you will be provided with support and professional development from the Pacific AIDS Network to succeed as a program trainer. Since this is a pilot program initiative it’s an amazing opportunity to be involved at a grass roots level.
About the Leadership Training Program
Over the course of the training session, program participants will:
1. Discover leadership through connection, learning, and exploration
2. Strengthen leadership skills that support personal, peer, and community empowerment
3. Gain hepatitis C history, community knowledge and awareness
4. Develop peer relationships for community building
The program curriculum will provide an interactive participant experience that combines learning material, individual exercises, group activities, sharing through discussion, and take-home resources.
There are four main components to the program’s curriculum:
More about the position
Type of work opportunity: Temporary contract, Program Trainer
Location: Remote work leading up to the training session, then either an in-person four-day training session in the Greater Vancouver area or virtual/online delivery spread out over a couple weeks (depending on COVID-19 guidelines).
Length of time: The contract will be active from February to July 2021
Work hours: From February to May 2021 approximately 10 flexible hours/month, and then the actual training session in June or early July
Compensation: $25/hour from February to May 2021 for flex work, then a fixed honorarium amount for the successful delivery of the four-day program (or the online/virtual version). Program trainers are considered independent contractor. Costs of accommodation, transportation, and meals will be provided.
Professional development: We will also provide some direct professional development opportunities to the successful candidate(s), dependent on experience and available resources.
• Recognizes and honours diversity within lived experience of hepatitis C
• Passionate about the leadership development of people with lived experience of hepatitis C
• Motivated by seeing others succeed
• Approachable and welcoming demeanour
• Group facilitation skills (ie. leading things like workshops or training sessions)
• Time management
• Exercises tact, discretion, and safeguards confidentiality
• Ability to think critically and objectively
Knowledge and Experience
• Lived experience of hepatitis C is a must
• Peer engagement and speaking experience in a group setting
• Knowledge of the hepatitis C landscape and community
• Basic computer literacy
Your role as a trainer
• Co-facilitate the training either in person over the course of 4 days (includes a weekend), or alternately the training will be delivered virtually online (COVID-19 dependent)
• Participate in train-the-trainer activities for skills development leading up to the pilot training session
• Work collaboratively with fellow trainers and the Hepatitis C Leadership Project Coordinator by attending virtual meetings on Zoom and communicating by phone and email
• Participate in pre-training planning and preparation activities such as participant selection
If you are interested in this unique opportunity, Monte Strong, the Hepatitis C Leadership Project Coordinator, would love to hear from you.
To apply for this opportunity, we ask you to submit your resume and letter of interest detailing why you feel you are a good fit for the leadership training program. Please send to [email protected] or feel free to contact Monte with questions or to arrange an information gathering session.
The deadline for submissions has been extended to Friday, January 29, 2021 at 4 PM Pacific Time.